Fast, simple, and effect are the best descriptors of Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound.
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound is a unique damping product that is ideal for new construction and renovation projects. As the most cost-effective soundproofing material on the market, the Green Glue’s distinctive properties dissipate the vibrations caused by sound waves as they travel through ceilings, walls and floors.
The compound is a viscoelastic damping compound that converts sound energy into a minute amount of heat. Very simply, when used between two rigid layers of material, typically drywall, the compound works to isolate the noise traveling from one room to the other. Unlike other soundproofing products, Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound is ideal for dissipating low frequency noise common with home entertainment and theater systems.
Applied in mere minutes to an average piece of drywall (or other rigid construction material), Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound can be applied to an entire room in one day, or less. Whether you’re an experienced construction professional or a handy DIY kind of person, using Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound is a cinch. All you need is a standard quart-sized caulking gun to apply a layer of compound between two pieces of drywall or other construction material. The Compound reaches its peak performance 30 days after application.
Independent lab tests prove that Green Glue’s effectiveness in markedly increasing STC ratings in a wide variety of construction configurations. Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound is environmentally-responsible and has low odor; it’s a cost-effective solution that allows you to live and work in peace. Add value and comfort to your home or commercial space by decreasing noise in your environments.
Despite the Green Glue name, Noiseproofing Compound is NOT a permanent adhesive. The Compound is used between two layers of building materials – typically drywall, OSB, MDF, cement board, or plywood, each at least 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick. One of the layers of which must allow moisture to pass through. So long as the two sheets layers are flat, rigid (for example, being applied between a layer of drywall and soundboard is not a good application), the Noiseproofing Compound will perform well.
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound should not be used between one or two soft layers, plastics, glass, or metals – i.e. between a carpet pad and plywood or to fill any cavities, such as inside a wall for insulating purposes.
We do not recommend using the Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound on exterior applications as it is effective only at room temperature range (approximately 65-85°F / 18-29°C). Exteriors are often subject to temperature fluctuations which are below and above this range. Please note: if the Noiseproofing Compound is subjected to temperatures outside of this range, including during transport, it will return to regular performance once it has warmed/cooled to the 65-85°F (18-29°C). range. Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound is freeze and thaw stable.
Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound has been proven to work in conjunction with the following materials:
- DRYWALL – Click here for recommendations on drywall assemblies. You may use factory-damped drywall, but you can save yourself the extra expense by simply using extra layers of standard drywall with Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound.
- WOOD PRODUCTS – Medium-density fiberboard (MDF), Oriented strand board (OSB) and plywood for applications like floors, soffits, seating risers in home theaters, stages, loudspeaker cabinets, and others.
- INSULATION – common building fiberglass (yes, the fluffy pink stuff) works just as well or even better than pricier insulation materials.
- SOUNDBOARD – we recommend using as an underlayment for flooring rather than for walls and ceilings because soundboard lacks the mass required for effective damping.
- MASS LOADED VINYL – MLV and other limp mass products with Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound
- SHREDDED RUBBER UNDERLAYMENTS – the heavier and thicker, the better. Use compound on a solid surface and not on mesh or open-web underlayments.
- STEEL STUD WALLS – Green Glue Noiseproofing Compound also performs outstandingly with steel stud walls. For details and information about specific wall types, click here.